Thursday, January 20

calls from granny

If anyone reads my junk much, here's a warning.....You will begin to loathe it. Much of my thoughts are centered around dresses & the rest, my late granny. I think of her so much, cause it makes me happy. I really smile when she enters my thoughts.
In her declining years, granny's phone calls changed. Her calls were up till then, short and direct, one "how are ya doing?", followed by short facts. Later, I'd answer the phone late at night, knowing it was granny, as it became routine.
"I don't know...I'm worried about the water bill."
"Really, granny?"

"I think one of my tenants is spiteful, he must be flushing the toilet all day." "Hmm."
"He's no good. That son of a b*tch. "
"Let me change my shoes. I wanna be comfortable."
"Okay."
Pause.
"The hairdresser ruined my hair!", she's jealous of me.",
"Can you hold on? I wanna brush my teeth before I get too tired."

"Sure."
She'd bring her tooth brush to the phone and I'd hear her brushing & a few minutes later she'd put the phone down and go rinse.
"I'm back!"

The calls lasted an hour or more, interrupted by various pauses while granny had me "hold the wire" as she did this and that.
Whatever granny wanted to do was okay by me, cause she put up with my sh*t.
I really wish she'd call once more, announcing "I'm back." but that's what dreaming is for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the callings of your granny.
i love this picture too, thats why i chose it.
and no i don´t speak swedish, only a little bit danish :)
Greets
N.

Lilly said...

Love the text <3
On the one hand it´s really sad,
but on the other hand not at all.
Can´t explain it.
You know what I mean?! :D
Lilly
http://pre-accession-strategy.blogspot.com/

cozzie laura said...

sounds like my kinda caller. I almost can't wait until I get to be that age and do/say whatever Iw ant. (I'm pretty much almost there anyhow,, if you ask the fab-husband, according to him I have no filter!)

the guy in the silk taffeta dress said...

Nimue,
I agree 100%.

Lilly,
You're right. It is not really sad at all.
We live, we strive, we struggle and I guess we succumb, and it's all a part of life.Thank you.

Laura,
The best is being honest and saying what you want and it's the most entertaining conversation, restricting.
Keep on expressing what you want.
I bet people love getting your calls.
I really appreciate what you've written in comments and granny is not just smiling at me, but also you tonight.
all the best,
j.

Sarcastic Bastard said...

Your granny sounds like she was wonderful. I was lucky, I had two good grandmas, too.

I used to sit and drink with Grandma Heeter--we'd shoot the shit and listen to Billie Holiday. Great, huh?

Love you.

the guy in the silk taffeta dress said...

Yeah,SB ,
You treasure them forever.
j.